Thứ Ba, 28 tháng 6, 2016

Safe choices

This was written by an inexperienced person after reading the first chapter of " Armchair economist". I am happy to share with anyone getting through this worth reading book.
Before coming across it on a random site, i was having sleep loss. I still remember how terrible i wanted to sleep but i could not. I was frustrated that all of my CVs and cover letters might have been thrown in some offices' trash.
The next day's morning, I started to read to calm my mind which was wandering somewhere else, not conscious at all. Focus needed!!!
---
The price of safe choices
What has repeated over and over again are "incentive matters" and " if the price is low, they'll choose to buy less".
These two accompanied with various examples finally give me the explanation of feelings i had yesterday. So hopeless. So worthless. I finally got why those employers did not choose me and how i was wasting time and then gained no experience.
They did not choose me because what they saw were not what I wanted them to see. I gave them a picture of such a boring person, lack of motivation and commitment. I could see that as when writing those cvs and cover letters, I veered towards safety.
The first chapter's headline is " how seatbelts kill". Seatbelts and other safety legislations  keep us safe but at the same time, we drive less carefully. We no longer notice any chances of accidents because we believe that we are in the environment free of risks.
What employers expect is not a person preferring safe options in every work he or she has done. Extra curricular activities should be challenging tasks in stead of staying in the comfort zone where a few skills are shown. When taking tasks in events and projects, i usually prefer to be a member, a backup team rather than a leader , "front" team ( i dont know how to call them as i havent been there). It's not which project you're in, the work you choose to take matters.
I thought " low price, buy more" was just in economy but in fact it's a general principle of human behaviours. It relates to incentives. The price of turning to safe options are the probability to be rejected and even the dark future. If I had been aware of this price which is always HIGH, I would step out of my comfort zone and take risks instead. In addition, this price was quite difficult to notice unless I had a good vision ,going back to old days.
---
It's summer and i've got Plan B to Z. After several rejections, i still want to try no matter how terrible I may feel when i cant get the job.
I'm not going to waste another summer just like the way I did in highschool and first year of college.
If only I've got a time machine to change what make me now

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét